Bowling Green vs Liberty Takeaways

5 Interceptions Leads BGSU to a Loss


A new season of BGSU football kicked off on Saturday and it could not have started too much worse. On one hand, the Falcons threw 5 interceptions and only lost by 10. On the other hand, how do we look that unprepared and out of sync in week 1? I am the firmest believer in the school of thought that with every team you have to throw out their best and worst game and that the other games better represent a team. This team needs to make some big strides and I am confident that they will. Coach Loeffler rebounded from an FCS loss last year when idiots like me thought the season was over, no doubt he can do it again. 

(photo via Toledo Blade)


Takeaways


I am actually feeling much better a couple days removed than I was during the game. I am obviously frustrated at how BG looked in terms of sloppy pass game, penalties, and an overall feeling of being somewhat raw. On the other side of the coin it is week 1, only foolish people make conclusions after one game of football. Just like in 2021, this team needs to take care of business in MAC play, go 5-3 and you make a bowl again. The MAC Championship is still unaffected by this loss. 

The defense, special teams, and the run game looked really solid. This game honestly makes me think 5-3 in MAC play is MORE than doable if we can run the football and play that good of defense. 5 turnovers and only losing by 5 hurts the soul but there is the silver lining in it being that close of a game. 

I will not make the same mistake I did last year and write this team off after the EKU loss but Eastern Illinois HAS to be a win. Liberty is basically a P5 program so this loss can be overcome in MAC play and I am more curious than anything to see this QB competition play out. I truly believe in football you can only have 1 QB, 1 true leader, 1 general to command the offense. Whether it is Bazelak or Orth, I think just one needs to be chosen and then the team moves forward in that direction. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transfer Portal 2024

State of the Program 12/4/23

State of the Program 10/16/23